Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Interviews

As predicted I now have three interviews this week, the first of which I already had on Monday. The other two are on Friday and Saturday. My interview on Monday was pretty much a let down! It was for a company called Parker Worldwide, never heard of them but their job post looked pretty promising and I got a call last week for an interview. I got an email with all the details and went to find a website but only found one that was under construction, but they're a new company so I let it go. The job had explained them as a new marketing company that was looking to expand and train people, so I thought Great! just what I want! NOPE! When I arrived for my interview at 2:30 pm I came to find an office space that was totally empty with the exception of a desk for the girl who was shuffling papers and listening to Kings of Leon at an ample volume. There were 7 other interviewees waiting before me so I sat and waited for my turn all the while thinking the situation was really odd. I waited an HOUR AND TEN MINUTES for my interview! When I got in there I introduced myself and made small talk as you do and then the guy who was interviewing me went into the job prospects. Basically it boiled down that they were a direct marketing company that started in the States and is now moving into the UK, with something like 1000 offices in the US and 20 in the UK. When it boiled down to it they were interviewing for sales managers. You got trained and then put in charge of a team of people and then moved on to manage a sales office... Not really what I was looking for. And the kicker was this as said by my interviewer: "We thrive in a recession. People are more watchful of their money so they think about what they are buying more making indirect marketing less affective. But we use direct marketing to get our consumers interest, leading them to buy our product before they realize they have buyers remorse!" Right there I was out! How dishonest! In a recession your company should be helping your consumers to feel secure in their investments, not making them to feel that your taking their money and laughing all the way to the bank! So needless today I told them I wasn't the right person for what they were looking for and with surprise on their face they thanked me for being honest and I went on my way. And now I feel more and more that they whole thing was a scam. If a company has over 1000 offices in the states and more in the UK I would expect they would have some sort of website! But nothing... very odd.

So the two interviews I have at the end of the week are for the University on Friday and for the new Hollister on Saturday. I've been waiting for both of these since mid-February so it's good their finally here. For the Hollister interview I have to travel up to Londontown, so we're gonna make a day of if and see some sights before my interview.

I feel confident about both of them so we'll just have to go and see! I'll keep it updated!

No comments: