Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Update

Job Seeking:

Still at the seeking stage unfortunately. I had an interview mid January for a position at the university but I'm still waiting to hear back on that one. Something about one of the decision makers having to go to the states for an emergency so the decision was on hold. I've applied for 10 jobs in the past 3 weeks each with a different cover letter and CV. So I've gotten really good at writing those. Of those 10 job applications I have heard back on 3. The first was a thanks but no thanks, which is fine. I'd rather know I'm not being considered for a job than left wondering what's going on. But this seems to be the philosophy in the UK, and this is not just me saying that American's are better than the UK, I've had people over here confirm the fact that customer service skills in the UK are pretty much crap. In the US if you send in an application for a job (and for an actual job opening, not just a random shot in the dark) someone WILL get back to you, and in a reasonable amount of time, whether or not you've been successful with your application. Over here your left to assume that your application is unsuccessful if it's been 2 weeks and you've heard nothing, even though you sent a follow up email. It's just so inconsiderate and rude! And it's even worse if you've interviewed and gotten the "We'll call you", and in a sincere way, never to here anything after. SO RUDE!

The other two job applications that I've heard back on were from another local ad agency letting me know they "definitely" got my CV and will be sending out emails for interviews on Friday. The other is for the new Hollister store opening in our mall. Those of you who know me, know that I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch for a number of years and really like the store and the company. I worked there so long that I knew how the store ran inside and out and was only not able to be a manager because you need a degree to be one. So now I have my degree and have an interview on Saturday. As Emily said "They better hire you, your from Cali - Fucking- fornia" so here's hoping.

Driving Lessons:

I've had two lessons with Matt and so far so good. Driving a manual car (with no power steering) is like learning to drive all over again for me. According to Matt I have really good clutch control. I'm still really tentative and think about what I'm doing far too much, but I'm getting there. I need to work on pulling away, I don't stall I just need to give it more gas to make it smoother, but that's only when I'm going straight on. If I'm pulling away and turning a corner at the same time I'm really smooth. Why I have no idea! And my shift changes are fine. I just have to do it little by little and I'll get there. And Matt's a good teacher :)

Living in the UK:

I think I've adjusted really well to be honest. Not too concerned about the weather, yeah it's cold but I put on a jacket and I'm fine. And Southampton is quite sunny compared to other places in the country so it makes it seem not so bad. I think if it were grey and crapy all the time I'd feel different. Still miss all my friends back home but I've become good friends with Matt's two cousins and their other halves. One lives in the city with us and the other lives not too far so we go up and visit them quite often. The people that Matt and I live with are nice and one of them has turned out to be a really good guy, but the others are acquaintances and I don't really see me becoming friends with them and we're just here till we can get our own place. I long for the day when I will walk into my own kitchen in the morning and it's clean and there's no fighting for space at dinner time! I'm just done living with other people, and the inconsiderateness and pettiness that comes with it.

On a better and more positive note, IT SNOWED yesterday and Monday! And like heavy snow at some points. It's melted now but it was awesome when it was goin on.

SEE!


Matt leaving for work in the snow!

2 comments:

Kari and Robert said...

i just read this entire post and decided something...you haven't changed a bit, and i LIKE IT. i'm so glad we were 'nsync lovers together, and i'm glad you're liking england, besides the no job thing...

emma said...

snow!